Welcome to the GreenwichSport.com™ website
Sport in Greenwich & Blackheath - A long line of sporting firsts
London Marathon - The World's biggest
race starts on Blackheath and Greenwich Park.
Guide to Marathons of the World
Association Football (Soccer)
PremierLive.co.uk - One-click guide
to the Premier League clubs
Charlton Athletic Football
Club - Hold the record for England's biggest football crowd.
Three Blackheath clubs (Blackheath, Perceval House (Blackheath) and
Blackheath Proprietary School) helped start the
Association (of England) - The Blackheath club then left when hacking
Football Club originally started in Woolwich in 1886 and was initially
known as Dial Square. It soon became known as Royal Arsenal which it
remained as until 1891.
A pig farm was among the local venues used until the club moved to the
Invicta Ground at Plumstead in 1890. The club became professional as
Woolwich Arsenal in 1891.
In 1913, despite vociferous local opposition, the club moved to Highbury
in North London.
- Blackheath Rugby Club - oldest in the land. Visit their site at: www.blackheathrugby.co.uk
- The first England International Rugby Team was chosen at the Princess of
Wales pub in Blackheath
- A wealth of golf courses including...
- The oldest golf club in England - The Royal Blackheath Golf Club
- Greenwich even has a youth baseball team that's going places
- Blackheath is a major centre for kite-flying particularly at weekends
- Not forgetting that most English of sports, cricket. Blackheath Wanderers
Cricket Club - founded 1886. South Thames League Champions 1990, Arthur
Phebey Cup Winners 1996.